Skip to: main navigation | main content | sitemap | accessibility page


Group C Race at Le Mans 24 Hours Weekend

image-14-10-2016-at-09-32-5 image-14-10-2016-at-09-32-6

Report supplied by Group C Racing – The Le Mans weather proved unpredictable in 2010, with random showers, lots of cloud and intermittent bouts of fabulous sunshine. 

As the cars prepared for qualifying, most were on slicks but, just as the cars were ready to head down to the assembly area, the skies burst open and the rain poured. Mechanics were forced into action and wets were fitted all round.

Despite the torrential rain, some good times were set in qualifying and it was an all Silk Cut Jaguar front row. Law was on pole, followed closely by Alex Buncombe, Nathan Kinch and Gary Pearson. C2 pole position was taken by Duncan McKay in his Spice SE88C.

Race conditions on Saturday were vastly improved but still the threat of more rain loomed: the day was overcast and the track was damp and very greasy.

As the race began, the front runners made an impressive start going into the first chicane – three abreast! Bob Berridge in the Mercedes C11 ended up in the gravel trap and Gary Pearson took the lead among the chaos, chased by Nathan Kinch, Alex Buncombe and Justin Law. 

A great battle ensued between the leading four cars with Nathan Kinch taking the lead in his GTP Spice SP92, and easing out a small gap on lap two. Bob Berridge, meanwhile, was now out of the gravel traps and charging on to record a 3m 44s on his second lap. Alas, on his 3rd lap, the C11 had a front left tyre blow out, effectively ending his race.

Nathan Kinch’s run of bad luck in 2010 continued, with a rear puncture forcing him to retire at Indianapolis after an excellent drive. A great battle then ensued between Gary Pearson and David Hart in his Porsche 962, with Hart coming through to lead and pull out a gap… until a coming together with a back marker forced him to retire with a tyre failure.

Gary Pearson was now back in the lead, until he also had a puncture, forcing him into the pits for a tyre change. This left Justin Law to take the overall victory.

Meanwhile, Gareth Evans came up to second in his Nissan R88C from 15th on the grid, with Gary Pearson able to get back on track to retake 3rd. Mike Furness rounded up the results by winning the C2 Class.